"acpi_tz0: _TMP value is absurd" Message

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Thu Apr 22 22:26:55 UTC 2010

B J wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>> One thing I did notice, however, is when I compiled
>> that file and got
>>> two errors arising from:
>>>
>>> Store (Local0, Local0)
>>>
>>> where Local0 hadn't been defined in that part of the
>> code.  I have no
>>> idea how that came about, but it successfully compiled
>> after I
>>> commented out that statement.  (A bug in the
>> original code, perhaps?) What happens if you recompile an
>> unmodified ASL?
>
> I got those 2 errors plus a warning.

By errors do you mean that you can't recompile unless you comment out
the statement? Ie are the errors fatal?

> I bought the machine second-hand from a dealer that was going out of
> business.  It came with Vista installed so, presumably, the
> motherboard might have been set accordingly.  Updating the BIOS might
> help, but I removed Vista when I started tinkering with FreeBSD,
> which might make that operation a touch difficult.

Updating the BIOS might help, didn't for me though. If you want to try
it, google for a MS-DOS boot disk image to download, either for floppy
disk or CDROM depending on what hardware you have.

> The main reason I'm concerned about this bug is that I'm planning on
> building my own machine and possibly running FreeBSD on it for my
> research.  I'd hate to put something together, install FreeBSD, and
> have nothing but bugs like this to contend with.

This is a bug introduced by the crappy manufacturer not FreeBSD. The
acpidump/iasl combo is FreeBSD's way of working round it. You might want
to try on the acpi mailing list if you want to investigate further. I
think the acpi section in the handbook says they like to know about such
problems.

I don't think it is a common problem. If you are buying a new
motherboard you should be able to find something without this problem.
Check the hardware notes http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/hardware.html

Chris