freebsd-update - removing sources of a 7.2 system

Olivier Mueller om-lists-bsd at omx.ch
Thu Apr 22 17:10:02 UTC 2010

Hello,

Two little questions about freebsd-update "best-practices":

1) These are the output when I start a "freebsd-update upgrade" on two
different systems. On the first one, everything ok, on the second, the
sources are still there and I would like to get rid of them:

sys1:
The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic world/base world/dict world/doc world/games world/info
world/manpages

sys2:
The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic src/base src/bin src/cddl src/contrib src/crypto src/etc
src/games src/gnu src/include src/krb5 src/lib src/libexec src/release
src/rescue src/sbin src/secure src/share src/sys src/tools src/ubin
src/usbin world/base world/dict world/doc world/games world/info
world/lib32 world/manpages world/proflibs

Just to be sure:  is this correct that I can just remove these 2
directories completely:
-  /usr/src    (500MB)
-  /usr/obj/usr/src  (1304MB)
and that it would solve my "problem" ?  Or is there a list of "installed
components" somewhere that should be updated too?  (I tried by renaming
these 2 dirs and running freebsd-update again and it seemed to work, but
I've not found that in the documentations I checked)

2)  directory  "/var/db/freebsd-update/files" is getting large after a
few upgrades (800M-1.2GB):  can it be deleted after an upgrade,  once I
am sure a rollback will not be necessary for example?   Or should rather
the while directory /var/db/freebsd-update be trashed ?

Thanks & regards,
Olivier

PS:  maybe these information would be useful to other?  Putting them
under
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html may be an idea... :)