"acpi_tz0: _TMP value is absurd" Message

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Thu Apr 22 13:18:24 UTC 2010

B J wrote:
> I have a Compaq Presario SR2180NX, which uses a P5LP-LE motherboard.
>
> When I bought the machine second hand three years ago, I originally installed and ran FreeBSD 5.5 without the error message.  I recall that it began appearing after I installed and ran 6.3, though I don't think it did under 6.2.  I still receive the message now that I'm running FreeBSD 8.0.
>
> I've looked at some of the ACPI code file and didn't notice anything obvious which might be responsible for the error message.  A quick solution I've used is running a file with:
>
> hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0 -> 1
> hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10 -> 1800
> hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 1 -> 0
>
> shortly after logging in as root.  The message still appears but not as often, though it doesn't fix the whatever causes the error.
>
> I've installed FreeBSD on two different models of IBM ThinkPad without the error, leading me to believe that the ACPI code might not be completely compatible with the P5LP-LE motherboard.
>
> My question is what to do next.  Is there a permanent solution to this or do I have to keep using the quick fix?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.
>
> BMJ

Hi BJ

I made a similar problem go away on my Compaq nc6320 by installing a
custom ASL, see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html and
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2009-March/005562.html

My issue was with _CRT not _TMP. The whole thread is long but it's got
some useful background.

Basically you create an ASL (see handbook), figure out exactly where
_TMP is set, figure out what alternative values set it to a non-absurd
value. Testing the alternative values is trial and error and involves
installing a modified AML (see handbook) and rebooting.

best of luck and when you get a working modified AML keep it somewhere
for when you reinstall...

Chris