PXE + sysinstall(8) install.cfg: DHCP Attribute to map install config/policy to system MAC?

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Wed Apr 21 21:39:55 UTC 2010

On 21/04/10 21:59, Brian A. Seklecki (CFI NOC) wrote:
> All:
>
>     The install.cfg mechanism is pretty wicked.
>
>     Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a really efficient way
>     to provide new clients (or class of clients) an install.cfg
>     without rebuilding an MFSROOT image.
>     Possibly a TFTP or NFS URL passed from the DHCP server
>     ->  boot loader ->  kernel sysctl ->  sysinstall(8).
>
> Thoughts or other ideas?

You can configure sysinstall in your install.cfg to execute shell
commands, including any fetch-like command. Some scripting should be
possible to do what you require. I wrote about it here:

http://www.locolomo.org/howto/pxeboot/automatic-installation.html

However, I never really went on and tested this, let me know if this works.

BR, Erik
--
Erik Nørgaard
Ph: +34.666334818/+34.915211157                  http://www.locolomo.org