Disabling DNS

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:38:16 UTC 2010

Leslie Jensen wrote:

> On 2010-04-20 15:41, peter at vfemail.net wrote:
>>
>> I can change named_enable="YES" to named_enable="NO" in the /etc/rc.conf
>> file.  Should I delete the following line from the /etc/rc.conf file that
>> says:
[snip]

> I would suggest that you remove both lines.
>
> named is off by default in /etc/defaults/rc.conf

To expand a little. The defaults mentioned here reside in /etc/defaults. The
files under /etc/defaults should not be edited or changed as they can get
overwritten during upgrades. The file /etc/rc.conf is designed to contain
overrides to alter or change the default behaviors. It is the one to edit,
not the ones under /etc/defaults.

So yes, pretty much all of the suggestions will turn DNS off. You can safely
delete the lines in /etc/rc.conf. Should you need to put them back in at
some time in the future you can look these lines up in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf, then edit /etc/rc.conf accordingly.

-Mike