boot loader too large

Jason C. Wells jcw at speakeasy.net
Sat Apr 17 20:12:01 UTC 2010

Dan Naumov wrote:
> Hey
>
> A 64kb freebsd-boot partition should be more than plenty for what you
> want to do, see my setup at: http://freebsd.pastebin.com/QS6MnNKc

Interesting.  I read somewhere that the boot partition should not be too
large as the entire partition is loaded into memory.  I re-partitioned
my drive to create a 64KiB freebsd-boot partition and I no longer get
the error.  It would appear that there is an undocumented maximum size
to the freebsd-boot partition.  In my case, a 1MiB boot partition was
too large.

Now I need to teach gptboot in ad4p1 how to find my root partition in
ad4p4 without manual intervention.  Is there a GPT equivalent to boot0cfg?

gptboot currently attempts to boot:

    0:ad(0p2)/boot/kernel/kernel

I'd like it to boot:

    0:ad(4p4)/boot/loader

How does the boot process discover the partition in which the gptboot
loader resides?

And GPT is pretty damn slick.  Nice work FreeBSD hackers.

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells