Extended VLAN?

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass9573 at gmx.com
Fri Apr 16 18:31:50 UTC 2010

On 4/14/2010 6:38 PM, Dan D Niles wrote:
> OK, this is weird.  I ran wireshark on the destination side (across the
> bridge).  When I try to ping the destination router, the arp request is
> sent across the bridge, but there is no arp reply.
>
> It seems like the destination router is not responding to arp requests
> that come in over the bridge.

Since the router knows that 10.10.0.0/16 is attached to the em3
interface it sends the ARP reply over that interface and not the
gif0 one. That ARP reply does not goes to the other side of the bridge
as it should. I don't know the reasoning behind it but I have heard
it in the past. Perhaps assigning IP addresses to member interfaces of
a bridge is probably bad practice (at least regarding the particular
implementation).

HTH, Nikos