USB Powered Speakers

Sun Apr 11 11:01:07 UTC 2010

Programmer In Training wrote:
> On 04/09/10 10:15, Brodey Dover wrote:
>
>> "Apr  8 22:30:16 heaven kernel: usb_alloc_device:1624: getting device
>> descriptor at addr 3 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR!"
>>
>> exactly! That is what is causing the issues. From what I can see, it
>> is like it was explained before. The OS has chosen to play nice and
>> request that the speakers are disabled.
>>
>> The power requirements will not affect the system until the speakers
>> are producing sound. In other words, the system will only draw UP to
>> the power input rating while in operation. At idle, I'd wager they may
>> only use 1/10 of its power rating for the idle ICs and a power LED.
>>
> <snip>
>
> Only it's not the speakers that have their operation interrupted, JUST
> the keyboard (not even the mouse is affected).

Hi,

    I don't know if my issue is related to the one debated in this
thread, but I just recently bought myself a pair of externally (regular
power supply; no USB power) powered speakers, that plug into the sound
card as usual, but when the speakers are powered up or down, my USB
mouse disappears for a few seconds! It happens every time, and the mouse
has its resoution reset. It's no big deal to me, but I'm a bit puzzled
as to how the simple sound card connection could reset a USB connection.
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just thought the issues might
be related.

    br - N :o)