Can't get mysql to start - permission error

Gene fbsd at brightstar.bomgardner.net
Sat Apr 10 23:28:20 UTC 2010

Hi all:

I'm running FBSD 8.0, amd64. After installing the mysql port: Mysql55-server
and mysql55-client I've attempted to start using mysql_safe --user=mysql.

It craps out and in the error log I find:

100410  7:25:36  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file operation.
InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
InnoDB: the directory.
InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
InnoDB: File operation call: 'create'.
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.

I suspect incorrect permissions somewhere. The question is... Where? Does
anyone have any idea where it's trying to create ibdata1?

And on a slightly related note - attempts to build the mysql60-server port
rapidly dies with the error:

===>  mysql-server-6.0.11 cannot install: unknown MySQL version: 60.
*** Error code 1

Anyone know what that's all about?

Thanks for any help or words of wisdom.
IHN,
Gene

--
To everything there is a season,
And a time to every purpose under heaven.