Does NAT require DNS (named)?

mikel king mikel.king at olivent.com
Fri Apr 9 00:56:33 UTC 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 8:32 PM, Gary Dunn wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:05:12 -0400 mikel king
> <mikel.king at olivent.com> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 8, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Gary Dunn wrote:
>>
>>> Continuing the saga of building a wireless access point, what is the
>>> best way to provide DNS service to the dowstream network? Seems like
>>> all I need is a simple pass-through. For that named seems like
>>> overkill. Anyone have an /etc/named/named.conf that does that?
>>

>> Depends on how your internal LAN is configured. Generally if there
>> are
>> no internal servers then you can forgo deploying a DNS server. Simply
>> setup your firewall IPFW or pf or whatever you are using to allow
>> clients to go out to the net and look names up. You will likely
>> need a
>> dhcp server though so that your wireless clients can auto-discover
>> the
>> appropriate network settings, but you can elect to do that manually
>> as
>> well if it's your
>> desire.
>
> I failed to mention that the same FreeBSD box will provide file and
> printer services via Samba, all clients will be Windows Vista, and
> there will bo no other servers on the downstream network. I cannot
> rely on clients editing their LMHOSTS files ... I need plug and
> play. Do I need a DNS server on the downstream network for Windows
> clients to connect to Samba?
> --
> Gary Dunn, Honolulu
> osp at aloha.com
> http://openslate.net/
> http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
> Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

Gary,

	Thanks for the clarification. In this case if it were my network then
I would roll out both DNS and DHCP on this server. Honestly it will
make your life a hell of a lot easier in the long run, especially if
you intend on using WINS resolution for the Windows client via samba.
However only allow the DNS and DHCP services to run on the internal
LAN, bind them to an internal IP address.

	You should be fine.

Cheers,
Mikel King