usage of /usr/bin

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Apr 8 06:01:41 UTC 2010

Allow me an addition:

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:13:10 -0700, Charlie Kester <corky1951 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed 07 Apr 2010 at 00:24:51 PDT Fbsd1 wrote:
> >Why are there RELEASE base files in /usr/bin. I thought /usr was to
> >only contain binaries installed from ports or packages.
>
> In many configurations, /bin and /usr/bin are not in the same slice.  In
> some cases, they're not even on the same drive.

I think you wanted to say that they often aren't on the
same partition (not slice), but it is possible to have
them on different slices, as well as disks, as you
mentioned.

Example:
/dev/ad0s1a	/	<- /bin, /sbin, /etc reside here
/dev/ad0s1f	/usr	<- /usr/bin, as well as /usr/local

In this example, both are on the same disk and within
the same slice, but on different partitions. In case of
mount trouble, / would usually be available read-only,
to provide a kind of reduced maintenance mode, and /usr
wouldn't be mounted at all.

> Think about scenarios where /usr fails to mount for some reason.  Then
> look at what's in /bin compared to what's in /usr/bin, and perhaps
> you'll understand the logic of it.

The manpage "man hier" explains it very well.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany