ttyu0 link down

Jay Hall jhall at socket.net
Tue Apr 6 12:02:31 UTC 2010

On Apr 6, 2010, at 1:14 AM, Sabine Baer wrote:

>> Using cu -l /dev/ttyu0 I receive a message stating "link down".
>                   ^^^^^
> Shouldn't that be  /dev/cua0 instead?
>
> $ less /etc/ttys|grep mgetty
> cuau0  "/usr/local/sbin/mgetty"        unknown on insecure
>
> Sabine
>
> --
> Good fences make good neighbours.                           (N.N.)

It does not make a difference whether I use /dev/cuau0 or not. I still
receive the link down message.

This morning I changed the /dev/ttyu0 dialup on entry in /etc/ttys to /
dev/ttyu0 dialup off secure, and after running kill -HUP 1, I was able
to access the modem using either cu -l /dev/ttyu0 or cu -l /dev/cuau0.

Once I re-enabled /dev/ttyu0 in etc/ttys, I am no longer able to
access the modem using either cu -l /dev/ttyu0 or cu -l /dev/cuau0.  I
receive a "link down" message when trying to access the modem.

I am running FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay