FreeBSD-8 Dual Booting With Pre-Installed Windows 7?

S Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Mon Apr 5 13:42:27 UTC 2010

Hello Masoom,

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:54:12 +0530
Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM, S Roberts <stacey at vickiandstacey.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Masoom,
> >   Good to hear from you..,
> >
> > On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:32:57 +0530
> > Masoom Shaikh <masoom.shaikh at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have been using EasyBCD on Win7 + FBSD8 for some 6+ months now
> >>

> > That's great to hear.., Can you confirm that you started off with a
> > pre-installed windows 7 machine / single disk and then **added**
> > FreeBSD, please?
>
> Win7 was not pre-installed. I have three partitions,
> part1(c:) - NTFS
> part2(d:) - FAT32
> part3 - UFS2, not visible to Win7, visible in Disk Management console
> as free space
>
> Win7 is installed on part1, part2 is data drive so that bot OSes can
> read/write do not want to use fusefs
>
> first install Win7, then FreeBSD, then boot in Win7 and use EasyBCD to
> add FreeBSD as another entry
> remember to advise FreeBSD to not touch MBR.

Understood. So for your installation of FreeBSD, selecting "None Leave
Master Boot Record untouched" actually did work - and you did **NOT**
find that sysinstall still went ahead and messed with the mbr?

Sorry for the questions, but I recall a recent thread where a few
people confirmed that this option does not behave as expected,
and folks ended up with broken windows mbrs.

Thanks again, Masoom.

Regards,

S Roberts