Support for Zotac MB with nVidia ION chipset

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 21:00:11 UTC 2010

On 4/4/10, Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie at le-hen.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --->> Please Cc: me when replying, I'm not subscribed. <<---
>
> I plan to purchase a Zotac motherboard with a embedded ATOM processor.
> It uses an NVidia chipset.
>
> http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-ionitx-f-e-atom-n330-1-6ghz-dual-core-mini-itx-intel-motherboard.html
>
> My intent is to build a small NAS with ZFS and NFS/CIFS.  I'd like to
> know if anyone successfully ran FreeBSD on this motherboard and what
> performance could be achieved, especially if ZFS is used.  I checked the
> archives without luck.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Jeremie Le Hen

A NAS w/ ZFS, NFS and CIFS/SMB, doesn't need any feature of the ion
chipset.  Why are you electing for this board if you're not running
any graphical environment?

And ZFS is memory hungry, the Atom is a i386-like chip, so you'd have
too much overhead with ZFS.

I think you've elected the wrong board for your purposes.  Will
FreeBSD run on it?  yes.  I have freebsd on another atom N-series ASUS
box.

--Tim