freebsd-8 support for dell R710 SATA raid-0 (LSI2008)

John comp.john at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 4 15:37:15 UTC 2010

Hi,

In the end I had to go with opensuse-11.2. I should have tried it in the
second place really, because the iDRAC has Suse enterprise as an
installation option, so it was a small leap to think of the free
version.

Here are the OSes I tried:

FreeBSD 8
FreeBSD 9
NetBSD 5.0.2
CentOS
Ubuntu 9.10 server

Basically the LSI SA2008 seems very new so it's unsurprising my
favourite OS doesn't support it. Hopefully it will in the near future,
because this card is a popular option on a popular server aimed at
small to medium sized businesses. OpenSuse-11.2 also does GPT in its
installation process. I had to raid0 the disks before they could be
seen properly though.

Current dmesg is available here: http://www.growveg.org/server/dmesg.txt
--
John - comp dot john at googlemail dot com
OpenBSD firewall | FreeBSD desktop | Ubuntu Karmic laptop