Fwd: mkuzip and/or geom_uzip changes? - SOLVED

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 08:02:37 UTC 2010

On 4/1/10, Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> BTW, you can raise this limit by changing NKPT.

>>> It is g_uzip even in 7:
>>>
>>> DECLARE_GEOM_CLASS(g_uzip_class, g_uzip);
>>> MODULE_DEPEND(g_uzip, zlib, 1, 1, 1);
>>>
>>> This has probably just been broken from the start.  If it used 'kldstat
>>> -n'
>>> then it might work.  Well, it probably works (modulo a warning) by
>>> accident
>>> as
>>> it doesn't hurt to kldload an already-loaded module.  Note though that
>>> it
>>> assumes the raw usr.img is an ISO image, not a UFS filesystem.

>>> Do you have a md0 device at all?  I think you want to hack the script to
>>> do
>>> something like this:
>>>
>>> 	disk=`mdconfig -af /path/to/usr.img`
>>> 	mount -r /dev/$disk.uzip /usr
>>>
>>> --
>>> John Baldwin
>>>

>> booted single-user
>> md0 is the mfs_root
>>
>> here is the manual attachment of an mdconfig...
>> # mdconfig -af /usr.uzip
>> WARNING: opening backing store: /usr.uzip readonly
>> md1.uzip: block size (24) should be a multiple of 512.
>> md1
>> # ls /dev/md1*
>> /dev/md1
>> #
>>

> Forgot the kldstat, which was obviously omitted
>
> # kldstat
> Id Refs Address Size Name
> 1 5 0xc0400000 b6e060 kernel
> 2 1 0xc0f6f000 3ffc   geom_uzip.ko
> 3 2 -xc0f73000 ac20   zlib.ko

John, All:

Don't spend any more time on this issue as a show-stopper anymore.  I
understand what was going on enough to realize that the middle line,
rather than a warning, was an outright error and the md?.uzip device
cannot be presented.

When I was trying to diagnose my cascading problems, one of the items
I did was to edit (with ee) the usr.uzip binary file.  I only used the
cursor in the script header part, saved it and tried it out.
Evidentally, that screwed the file up.

Recreating the .img, converting to a .uzip is working.

I'm back on track, no need to continue to search this.

enjoy!