Freebsd-update issues

Graeme Dargie arab at tangerine-army.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 17:01:54 UTC 2010

Hello All

I have an issue with freebsd-update, I will back track a few steps to
give you some background as to what I was doing prior to using
freebsd-update.

I have been trying to get half-life dedicated server working on one of
my machines, seemed to install ok from games/linux-steam but on running
it would crash then hang the machine.

After a bit of digging about it was suggested that I needed to modify
the kernel to have the CPU_ENABLE_SSE option it seemed to go through #
make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL ok but then went belly up make
installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL failed. I re-read the man page, and
tried again today, for it to fail at the buildkernel stage saying
CPU_ENABLE_SSE was not an valid option. So I thought ok I will just
rebuild the generic kernel using the above steps. That worked fine,
system rebooted and from what I can tell works as it should.
Now on to the issue, doing freebsd-update fetch works ok, but the inital
run of the freebsd-update install complained about lack of disk space,
looking in to /boot there was a 230mb folder called GENERIC, I checked
my other two machines and this was not present of either, so I moved the
folder out of /boot and re-ran freebsd-update install now it complains
that /boot/GENERIC is missing.
I`ll freely confess to not knowing much about this kind of thing but to
me it looks like freebsd-update thinks my kernel is /boot/GENERIC and
not /boot/KERNEL

Anyone know what I have done wrong and how to fix this ? if anyone out
there knows how to get HLDS working that would be a great help as well
eris# uname -a
FreeBSD eris.galaxy.lan.lcl 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0: Fri Apr
2 16:14:18 BST 2010
graeme at eris.galaxy.lan.lcl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ERISGEN  amd64
eris# df -h
Filesystem            Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/mirror/gm0s1a    496M    270M    186M    59%    /
devfs                 1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev

Regards
Graeme