Sendmail Five Second Greeting Delay

Norbert Papke npapke at acm.org
Fri Apr 2 00:51:29 UTC 2010

When I connect to sendmail on a local interface, sendmail responds to the
connection with its "220" greeting immediately.  If I connect to sendmail from
another machine on my (home) LAN, sendmail delays five seconds before sending
the greeting.  I would like it to respond immediately.

A quick search turned up a "greet_delay" feature in sendmail that would cause
this type of behavior.  To the best of my knowledge, I do not use this
feature.  Just to be sure, I tried to explicitly enable it with both a default
0 second timeout and an explicit 0 second access rule.  This did not the
resolve the issue.

I am at a loss.  What could be going on?

Cheers,

-- Norbert.

sendmail mc file:

VERSIONID(`$Id: proven.lan.mc,v 1.1 2005/07/30 08:31:09 npapke Exp $')dnl
OSTYPE(freebsd6)
DOMAIN(generic)

FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(local_procmail)
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')
FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`LOCAL', `+S')dnl

define( `SMART_HOST', `shawmail.vc.shawcable.net')dnl
define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/local-host-names')

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv4, Family=inet')
define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')
define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-to-undisclosed')
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,noexpn,novrfy')
# Virtual hosts
FEATURE(virtusertable)dnl
VIRTUSER_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/virtdomains')dnl
FEATURE(`virtuser_entire_domain')dnl

MAILER(procmail)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl