ipfw weirdness after csup/buildworld

Tim Gustafson tjg at soe.ucsc.edu
Thu Apr 1 17:11:32 UTC 2010

I am running: FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE amd64

After recently csup'ing to the latest sources and then a build/install cycle, my ipfw started misbehaving badly.  I'm seeing lots of:

ipfw: install_state: entry already present, done

and also lots of:

ipfw: ouch!, skip past end of rules, denying packet

When I did an "ipfw list", I got something like this:

00000  ip from any to any

Note the rule number is all zeros, and there's no "allow" or "deny".  Adding rules or removing rules didn't fix anything, nor did an "ipfw flush".  Once it was in that state, attempting to "kldunload ipfw" caused the system to hang.  The only fix for now was to disable the firewall.

When I went into single user mode, and did:

kldload ipfw
ipfw /etc/firewall.rules (which is the same ruleset I had loaded on boot)

everything worked fine, but when I went into multi-user mode and did the same thing, it failed with the symptoms listed above.

Just to be sure, a day after this started happening I did a csup again and another build/install cycle but got exactly the same results.

Any ideas?

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz