backups & cloning

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Sep 30 20:40:37 UTC 2009

About the dd method:

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:30:58 -0400, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:
> It can be used, but it is not a good way to do it.

For regular backups or even for cloning, it's not very
performant, I agree. I'm mostly using this method for
forensic purposes, when I need a copy of a media (a
whole disk, one slice or a particular partition) to toy
around with, so I don't mess up the original data.

> That is because it copies sector by sector and the new
> disk/filesystem may not match the old exactly.

That's a known problem. Another problem is time complexity.
The dd program does copy everything - even the unused disk
blocks (which don't need to be copied). This makes this
process often last very long.

> Besides
> when it is newly written on a file by file basis, it can
> be more efficiently laid out and accomodate any changes in
> size and sector addressing.  dd cannot do that.

That's true. This is the point where tools like cpdup and
rsync come into mind (according to creating backups or
clones).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany