Problem upgrading 7.2 to 8.0-RC1

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:29:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Leonardo M. Ramé <martinrame at yahoo.com>wrote:

> > From: Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: Problem upgrading 7.2 to 8.0-RC1
> > To: "Leonardo M. Ramé" <martinrame at yahoo.com>
> > Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> > Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 11:45 AM
> > On Wed, Sep 30,
> > 2009 at 9:38 AM, Leonardo M. Ramé <martinrame at yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I'm trying to upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0-RC1 without
> > success. Any hint?
> >

> > This is my data:
> >

> > uname -a:
> >
> > FreeBSD toshiba-leo.localhost.localdomain 7.2-STABLE-200906
> > FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE-200906 #0: Sun Jun  7 10:23:49 UTC 2009
> >
> > root at driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> >  amd64
> >

> > freebsd-update:
> >

> > [root at toshiba-leo]# freebsd-update -v debug -r 8.0-RC1
> > upgrade
> >
> > Looking up update.FreeBSD.org
> > mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
> >
> > Fetching public key from update5.FreeBSD.org... fetch:
> http://update5.FreeBSD.org/7.2-STABLE-200906/amd64/pub.ssl:
> > Not Found
> >
> > failed.
> >
> > Fetching public key from update2.FreeBSD.org... fetch:
> http://update2.FreeBSD.org/7.2-STABLE-200906/amd64/pub.ssl:
> > Not Found
> >
> > failed.
> >
> > Fetching public key from update4.FreeBSD.org... fetch:
> http://update4.FreeBSD.org/7.2-STABLE-200906/amd64/pub.ssl:
> > Not Found
> >
> > failed.
> >
> > No mirrors remaining, giving up.
> >

> > Leonardo M. Ramé
> >
> > http://leonardorame.blogspot.com
> >

> > man freebsd-update
> >
> > DESCRIPTION
> >      The freebsd-update tool is used to fetch, install,
> > and rollback binary
> >      updates to the FreeBSD base system.  Note that
> > updates are only available
> >
> >      if they are being built for the FreeBSD release
> > and architecture being
> >      used; in particular, the FreeBSD Security Team
> > only builds updates for
> >      releases shipped in binary form by the FreeBSD
> > Release Engineering Team,
> >
> >      e.g., FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE and FreeBSD 6.2-RC1, but
> > not FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE
> >      or FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT.
> >
> > You are not running supported version.
> >

> > --
> > Adam Vande More
> >

> Thanks Adam, any workaround to upgrade to 8.0?
>
> Leonardo.

I normally csup(1) whatever branch I'm trying to get too.
/usr/src/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile is a good starting although
you'll need to edit *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8 and an appropriate
*default host= line.  Then use handbook for building and installing
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/makeworld.html

You'll also want to do something like the following from portmaster man
page.

     Using portmaster to do a complete reinstallation of all your ports:
           1. portmaster --list-origins > ~/installed-port-list
           2. Update your ports tree
           3. portmaster --clean-distfiles-all
           4. portmaster --check-port-dbdir
           5. portmaster -Faf
           6. pkg_delete '*'
           7. rm -rf /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
           8. Manually check /usr/local and /var/db/pkg
              to make sure that they are really empty
           9. portmaster `cat ~/installed-port-list`

     You probably want to use the -D option for the installation and then
run
     --clean-distfiles[-all] again when you are done.  You might also want
     consider using the --force-config option when installing the new ports.

--
Adam Vande More