geom not clearing metadata labels
westr at connection.ca
Wed Sep 30 13:55:12 UTC 2009
R> I've got a geom based file system that is running under 2 geom
R> modules: multipath and journal.
Solved the problem, so here's some notes for the archive:
- the answers were hiding throughout in the freebsd-geom mailing list
archives, I just forgot to look there initially.
- this was a single data disk that was improperly partitioned/sliced
in the beginning, therefore the metadata information was being picked
up twice and auto creating the journal device under each device.
- if the journal is being picked up multiple times (ie slice +
partition), then remove one of the formatting options (via dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/xxxxx bs=512 count=32) so only 1 journal is
picked up. Then do "gjournal clear /dev/xxxxx" to properly remove the
- hardcode the gjournal labels for situations like this, as it'll
stop it being autoloaded under multiple devices.
- gjournal hardcoded provider labels are up to 15 characters long, so
long device names can be a pain (like "multipath/xxxx0s1a" is too
Probably a few other notes that I've forgotten, but that'll get you on
the right path.
More information about the freebsd-questions