dbus/hal in freebsd 7.2 hangs X11

kron24 kron24 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 15:32:34 UTC 2009

Dne 25.9.2009 19:55, Warren Block napsal(a):
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009, kron24 wrote:
>> Dne 25.9.2009 14:32, William Bulley napsal(a):
>>> According to Giuseppe Pagnoni<gpagnoni at gmail.com> on Fri, 09/25/09 at
>>> 03:32:

> [edit]
>
>> The same problem on my test machine:
>> FreeBSD 8.0-RC1
>> xfce-4.6.1
>> xorg-7.4_2
>> I usually run it without dbus+hal and it works fine.
>> With dbus+hal enabled (just for the sake of test)
>> I experienced the same hangs.
>
> It works here. Can we see your xorg.conf? When you built xorg-server,
> did you enable hal support?
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

Yes, built with default options (including HAL). My xorg.conf
is below.

The machine is too weak to run my desktop, I use it only to test
things:
   CPU:
     VIA Samuel 2 (532.64-MHz 686-class CPU)
   graphics:
     vendor = 'Trident Microsystems'
     device = 'Via Tech VT8361/VT8601 Graphics Controller (VT8361)'

I don't mind the hangs with dbus+hal - I don't use them,
I enabled them just to test OP's problem.

Purely and simply, it is much less responsive with dbus+hal. It
often takes seconds to see what I typed in a terminal emulator.
Maybe the box is just underpowered for dbus+hal, I can live with
that :-)

BR, Oli

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "X.org Configured"
         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
         Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection

Section "Files"
         ModulePath   "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
         FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
         FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
         FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
         FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
         FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
         FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
         FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/urwfonts-ttf/"
         FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/dejavu/"
         FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/gentium/"
         FontPath     "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
         Load  "extmod"
         Load  "record"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "glx"
         Load  "xtrap"
         Load  "dri"
         Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
         Driver      "kbd"
         Option      "XkbLayout"  "us,cz"
         Option      "XkbModel"   "pc105"
         Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"