X - after some time can't lauch new windows, Error: Can't open display

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Sep 24 15:49:09 UTC 2009

After some time I cannot open any new windows in X,
I get
	No protocol specified
	Error: Can't open display: :0.0

This is on i386 9.0-current with
	agp0: <Intel 82845M (845M GMCH) SVGA controller> on vgapci0

I've xorg-7.4_2, xorg-server-1.6.1,1, xf86-video-intel-2.7.1
and latest hal and dbus.

My window manager is mwm (part of open-motif-2.2.3_6).

After logging into X via xdm I can launch new windows fine.
But after a while, probably several hours, an attempt to
launch a new window, i.e. any program that opens a new window,
like xterm or xpdf, results in the error message above.

The only solution I've found is to logout of xdm and login again.
But would be great to solve this properly.

Please advise

many thanks

--
Anton Shterenlikht