panic: Journal overflow

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Wed Sep 23 23:35:13 UTC 2009

Hello,

I've got a 7.2-RELEASE (i386) box that has recently experienced
several panics when writing to a gjournaled partition.  On this
particular partition, the journal device is "mixed" in with the data
provider.  In both cases, I was trying to copy a 19GB file from an
external USB device (da1p16.journal) to the filesystem on a 3Ware
RAID-10 (da7p0.journal).

This afternoon I saw...

panic: Journal overflow (joffset=xxxxxxx active=yyyyyyyy
inactive=zzzzzz)
cpuid = 1
Uptime:
Physical memory: 1011 MB
Dumping 351MB

cpuid = 0, apic id = 00
fault virtual address    = 0xea60
fault code               = supervisor write, page not present
instructor pointer       = 0x20: 0xc04715b6
stack pointer            = 0x28: 0xe6ab0320
frame pointer            = 0x28: 0xe6ab03bc
code segment             = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                           DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags         = interrupt enabled, resume, 10PL = 0
current process          = 48 (gjournal da0p7)
trap number              = 12

Does this mean my journal is not big enough for the amount of data I'm
trying to push through?  Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

I can provide "a lot" more data if necessary.  Thanks for your help!

--
Regards,
Doug