freebsd-update problem 8.0Beta1 to 8.0Beta4

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Mon Sep 21 17:49:37 UTC 2009

Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> 2009/9/20 Fernando Apesteguía <fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having some problems trying to update from FreeBSD 8.0 Beta1 to 8.0 Beta4.
>>
>> I upgraded from 7.2 to beta1 some time ago, using freebsd-update
>> without problems. Later
>> I did the same thing to reach beta2. Yesterday I tried it to get to
>> beta3 but I have a bunch
>> of errors like this one:
>>
>> /usr/sbin/freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
>>
>> This is after the "preparing to download files" stage. I have plenty
>> of disk space left on my hard disk.
>> In an attempt to fix the problem I performed a rollback, so I went to
>> beta1 again. This process seemed
>> to work fine. However, whenever I try to upgrade to another higher
>> release number, I get those errors.
>>
>> Listing the contents of the /var/db/freebsd-update/files/ directory
>> shows a bunch of .gz files.
>> What can be wrong?
>>
>> I've googled, but I haven't been able to find a solution.
>> Any help?
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> Nobody on this issue?
> I've seen more people asking about this[1][2] but I couldn't find a solution.
>
> I made a back up of the /var/db/freebsd-update directory and renamed
> the files and merge directories. freebsd-update created them again,
> actually downloaded a bunch of files, but I got exactly the same
> error. I followed exactly the same procedure (described in the
> handbook) to go from 7.1 to 7.2 then to 8.0BETA1 and finally to
> 8.0BETA2. What is wrong with freebsd-update? If I did something wrong,
> how can I roll it back?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@freebsd.org/msg214707.html
> [2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2009-January/190664.htm

I encountered this once, and was not able to solve it, see here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@freebsd.org/msg186677.html

It was definitely not a disk / partition free space problem and it
manifested itself moving from RC to RELEASE.
In the end, I did a binary upgrade from CD. It has behaved ever since.