postfix + cyrus sasl: no go

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 19 14:14:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 06:33:00 -0700 (PDT)
Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have compiled postfix with the SASL2 option. After creating the
> saslpass file, I added the appropriate lines to main.cf:
>
> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/saslpass
> smtp_sasl_security_options =
>
> and restarted postfix.
>
> However, when I try to send an email, I see these lines in maillog:
>
> Sep 19 15:07:19 venus postfix/smtp[75188]: warning: unsupported SASL
> client implementation: cyrus
> Sep 19 15:07:19 venus postfix/smtp[75188]: fatal: SASL library
> initialization
>
> Also, "postconf -A" doesn't return anything. FWIW, "postconf -a"
> returns dovecot.
>
> Any ideas what is going wrong here?
>
> versions:
> postfix-2.6.5,1
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.23
> FreeBSD 7.0

This question really belongs on the Postfix forum. In any case:

1) Post the complete output of "postconf -n"
2) Post the contents of: /usr/local/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
3) Please check: http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
4) Post the output of a telnet session to your mail server

In the mail/postfix directory, do a "make rmconfig" then redo the
config; i.e., "make config". Be sure to enable SASL2. You also will
probably need to enable a database format; i.e.,berkley, MySql or
whatever you intend to use. If you ever intend to use TLS/SSL, now
would be the time to enable it. Then do:

make clean && make deinstall && make reinstall && make distclean

Check again with a telnet session and post the output if it still does
not work.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

I was in Vegas last week. I was at the roulette table, having a
lengthy argument about what I considered an Odd number.

	Steven Wright