Dump/Restore?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Sep 14 14:40:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 06:50:05PM -0700, Chris Maness wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Chris Maness <chris at chrismaness.com> wrote:
> > I level 0 dump of my server.  I lost a file that I need back.  Is it
> > possible to use restore like tar and explode it into a directory
> > instead of a pristine partition/mount?  Or even better, is it possible
> > to just extract a single file without exploding the whole tape dump?
> >
> > Sorry if the question seems stupid.
> >
> > Chris KQ6UP
> >

> Sorry, I was reading the restore man from my mac, and it was not as
> clear.  The restore does not seem to work from my mac (this is where
> my backup dumps reside as I have two massive HDs).  I guess the mac
> restore would only work with HFS+ and not UFS.  I guess the only way
> would be to move the massive dump file back over to the FreeBSD
> server.

The dump is just a file and it should not matter where it is
stored, but you will have to use some network access type thing
such as an rsh or an NFS connection to read it.

Another thing is that restores need to be done on the same OS
that the dumps were written - regardless of where they are stored.
dump/restore depends on knowing something about the underlying
filesystem, so it is not transferable from one system to another
and often even between one OS version to another, like tar tends
to be.    But, you can make the dump file move between where it is
stored and a system that can restore from it using one of the
network protocols.

////jerry