[OFF?] Mac OX Driver

Michael David Crawford mdc at prgmr.com
Sun Sep 13 21:23:43 UTC 2009

Mario Lobo wrote:
> Is it possible to use a Mac driver on FreeBSD? Has this ever been tried or
> done? should I bury my hopes?

Mac OS X has a unique C++ driver architecture called the I/O Kit.  It's
quite unlike the driver systems in any other OSes I've seen.

If you have the source to the Mac driver, you might be able to glean
information from it that would help you write a FreeBSD driver.  Even
better would be to have the hardware specs to your sound board.

Apple has some tech notes on porting drivers from other platforms to Mac
OS X.  Maybe reading them could give you some insight as to how to port
them in reverse.

One doesn't generally port device drivers between such different
systems; it's more like doing a complete rewrite.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdc at prgmr.com

    prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

       Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen