reducing size of apache instances

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 11 18:41:24 UTC 2009

Ivan Voras wrote:

> John Almberg wrote:
>
>> I am using PHP, in fact. I've listed all the loaded modules below, and
>> marked the ones I added with an '*'. I need the proxy modules because I
>> use Apache as a front end for Mongrel.
>
>> This WITH_MPM=worker sounds interesting. I'll have to read up on it. I
>> guess there is some downside to enabling it, like slower performance?
>
> PHP is incredibly buggy and will in all probability break Apache if you
> try running it in threaded mode.

Try mod_fcgid and run PHP as FastCGI if you want a threaded Apache. I've
been running the event mpm on a test box at work this way. So far I've never
had any trouble, but it is also not getting hammered either. Conventional
wisdom is the event mpm is still considered "experimental" and therefore
untrustworthy in a production environment.

-Mike