are there any notebooks with mouse-sticks?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Sep 10 23:07:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:51:29AM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:29:25AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:08:36 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm looking for a small computer, 7-10" screen that has a ThinkPad-like stick
> > > to act as the mouse.
> >
> > This "stick" is called a TrackPoint, as far as I remember. It has been
> > common in portable computers built by IB and Toshiba.
>
> I assume that IB was meant to be IBM.  Lenovo bought IBM's PC division a
> few years ago, and now produces ThinkPads -- which come with trackpoints.

	super!

> > > Pref'ly, no touch-pad.
> >
> > Sadly, you will find mostly that (crap) in "modern" devices...
>
> I just turn off the touchpad in my ThinkPad's BIOS/CMOS settings.  That's
> pretty much the *first* thing I do with a new ThinkPad, before I even
> install a halfway decent operating system on it.  I have a tendency to
> accidentaly move the mouse around while typing, otherwise.

	BIOS.  That's what i couldn't remember.  so you still *can*
	toggle the laptop pointer on/off.  in my long-defunt 600E
	i could plug in an external mouse and off the t'point.  good to
	know you can turn off the pad and still use the other pointing
	device.

	:-D

> > > The ASUS and just about every other
> > > notebook-size device has this kind of scratch-n-sniff pad; [...]
> >
> > Nice name. Other names: Fingerprint sensor and coffee cup warmer. :-)
>
> Yeah . . . how warm the touchpad gets is a pretty good heuristic measure
> of how hot the laptop is running, at least on my ThinkPad.
>

> > > Any clues?
> >
> > Look for IBM / Lenovo, maybe they still employ this fantastic and
> > easy to use pointing device. Allthough it would completely make sense
> > to use a Trackpoint for netbook class computers (litte real estate
> > consumption, minimal moving from "hand in typing position" to "hand
> > in pointing position"), it seems that the worst solution always
> > prevails. I haven't seen Trackpoints on "modern" stuff yet, and I'm
> > quite about thinking that it doesn't exist anymore.
>
> Unfortunately, the OP was asking about netbook-sized computers, and last
> I checked the only netbooks offered by Lenovo are IdeaPads -- which are
> exactly like ThinkPads, except the construction is a little cheaper and
> the pointing device is always a touchpad.

	hm.  if i can go into the bios of this ideapad and disable the
	t'pad; then use a wireless mouse, that would work.  my plans are
	to build a text-to-speech computer.  kde has a bunch of tools
	that are very useable.  vi has -- or used to have -- the ability
	to store abbrv that would expand as typed.  you type "tht"; vi
	outputs "that"

	gary

    The 5.67a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php