are there any notebooks with mouse-sticks?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Sep 10 08:29:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:08:36 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:

> I'm looking for a small computer, 7-10" screen that has a ThinkPad-like stick
> to act as the mouse.

This "stick" is called a TrackPoint, as far as I remember. It has been
common in portable computers built by IB and Toshiba.

> Pref'ly, no touch-pad.

Sadly, you will find mostly that (crap) in "modern" devices...

> The ASUS and just about every other
> notebook-size device has this kind of scratch-n-sniff pad; [...]

Nice name. Other names: Fingerprint sensor and coffee cup warmer. :-)

> Any clues?

Look for IBM / Lenovo, maybe they still employ this fantastic and
easy to use pointing device. Allthough it would completely make sense
to use a Trackpoint for netbook class computers (litte real estate
consumption, minimal moving from "hand in typing position" to "hand
in pointing position"), it seems that the worst solution always
prevails. I haven't seen Trackpoints on "modern" stuff yet, and I'm
quite about thinking that it doesn't exist anymore.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany