Using mdconfig for swap space

Peter Steele psteele at maxiscale.com
Wed Sep 9 14:58:18 UTC 2009

>Nowadays having swap twice as RAM is not necessary. If your system wasn't swapping much in the past you can safely stay with 4G in my opinion... extending it to 16G >would be waste of space :)

I won't bore you with the details but in fact our application *does* require this much swap space, but not for the typical reasons. It's a side effect of how our application works and we thought we could make use of an image file for the extra swap rather than repartitioning, but I've read too many warnings against going this route so I've decided to stick with increasing the size of the swap partition.