how to get rid of a character, 0x80?

Mark Stapper stark at mapper.nl
Tue Sep 8 06:00:36 UTC 2009

Gary Kline wrote:
> 	anybody know why getchar() doesn't see 0x80 == 0200?  if getchar()
> 	is limited to 7-bit characters, what then?
>
> 	% od -c file
>
> 	shows me that every character fits into 8 bits, so getwchar() is the next thing.
> 	but doesn't getwchar grab wide-chars only: 16 bits?
>
> 	tia, guys,
>
> 	gary

Hello,

First of, this isn't really a BSD question.
Second, if you have an example code we might be able to help.
Presumably, you want to read a capital C with cedille? (0x80 128 Ç)
Example from: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cstdio/getchar/
compiled on FreeBSD 7.2 with gcc 4.2.1 output:
"
Enter text. Include a dot ('.') in a sentence to exit:
sfeo
sfeo
Çsdfa
Çsdfa