difficult-to-phrase question...

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Sep 3 20:44:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 08:02:18PM -0400, Jon Radel wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >	guys, (of either gender)
> >
> >	here's one that is a bit difficult to figure out how to ask, but
> >	here's my first shot:
> >
> >	i'm looking for a file what contains string "S".  the filename
> >	in this case has a zillion letters, but that beside the point.
> >
> >	i can use grep to find "S" and grep gives me the file[s] that
> >	have the string.  now, is there any easy way of reading that
> >	file, or deleting or otherwise munging that file?
> >
> >	nutshell is that every time i reboot (into kde), kde wastes
> >	time/cpu spawning unwanted whatever: versions of konqueror, kttsd,
> >	ksayit, &c.  [[i found these files in
> >	~/.kde/share/config/session, about  20, dated may, 09 to oct 08.
> >	rm'ing the bunch would get rid of the instantiate problem, but
> >	having a script to diddle with a found string "S" would be
> >	useful esp'ly if the filename of pathname were long.
> >
> >	i'll mouse swipe the string and fname to prove my point.
> >	thanks for any help.
> >
> >	gary
> >
> >	ps: if scripting this is too grizzly i'll do it in C and do an
> >	inline post of src and example use.
> >

> Do you mean something like
>
> rm `grep -l S *`

	Or, more specifically, maybe

	$ cmd `grep -lr "S" *`  [??]  I'll try that on the string I was looking
	for.

	Polytropon, I have only the vaguest clue what your suggestion was, sorry.
	To Adam, yeah, I have indeed removed these surplus kde apps, but the
	session file is still there each time.  So the apps are reinstantianted
	every time.  --I'm going to blow them away.

	gary

    The 5.67a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
          10% slice of my latest novel:  http://www.thought.org/10pc