memory usage displsy

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Wed Sep 2 13:32:39 UTC 2009

Bill Moran wrote:

>> Dan Nelson wrote:

>>> ps will sort by memory usage when given the -m flag.  Also check ipcs -a to
>>> see if there are any sysv shared memory segments hanging arnound.  If you
>>> don't see anything using the memory, where are you seeing that "something"
>>> is using it?
>>>
>> ...and here is top output after I stopped Postfix, slapd and Cyrus-IMAP.
>> Still over 3G Active.
>
> <snip>
>
> You did not sort by res and there are only 40 processes showing, which
> means your output is truncated and may have truncated the problematic
> process.
>
> Please use "top -o res" to get the output sorted by memory usage, or
> don't truncate the output (former preferred).
>
> Also, please provide the output of "ipcs -a"

There was no more processes...

ipcs -a
Message Queues:
T           ID          KEY MODE        OWNER    GROUP    CREATOR
CGROUP                 CBYTES                 QNUM               QBYTES
        LSPID        LRPID STIME    RTIME    CTIME

Shared Memory:
T           ID          KEY MODE        OWNER    GROUP    CREATOR
CGROUP         NATTCH        SEGSZ         CPID         LPID ATIME
DTIME    CTIME

Semaphores:
T           ID          KEY MODE        OWNER    GROUP    CREATOR
CGROUP          NSEMS OTIME    CTIME