32 bit ports on an AMD64 system

Jim stapleton.41 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 12:30:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM, b. f.<bf1783 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> You've given some of your reasons for using amd64 -- but are your
> reasons for using 32-bit binaries on amd64 strong enough to make all
> of this worthwhile?  Why not just use 64-bit binaries for all but the
> 32-bit-only ports?  Sure, some 32-bit applications will actually run
> faster (the opposite is also often true) or use fewer resources, but
> is it worth the hassle?

Mostly that's what I want to do. However I'd like to do some Python QT
development with PyQT4, and would like to test the performance using
py-psycho (i386 bit only). In that situation, I'm not sure if I'll
have to install QT4 as 32 bit or not, likewise for X...

It's a bit messy, but we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the advice and help,
-Jim Stapleton