Upgrading packages

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Wed Sep 2 06:41:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 01:08:54 -0500 Chris wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 09:50:08 +0400
> Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 00:25:18 -0500 Chris wrote:

> > > Thanks - although, this seems a moot point if one sticks with
> > > RELEASE (until a point release that is I suppose).
> >
> > Packges are build for STABLE as well:
> > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/

> I do realize this however, if one stays with RELEASE (and not deal with
> the possible (I did say possible) headaches of a changing base system)
> then (as I read it from the Handbook) updating packages is moot. They
> won't change until the next point release.

The thing is that those packages (called FreeBSD-stable-packages)
can (and imo) should be used with RELEASE either. The ports tree
is always HEAD. And -stable- for packages means only that they
were build after -release- packages.

--
WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve