geli disk marked as dirty on normal shutdown/reboot

Vinny vinny-mail-01+f.questions20090831 at palaceofretention.ca
Tue Sep 1 03:50:48 UTC 2009

Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:22:14 -0500, Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Usually I just umount before close.  I don't get the need to fsck then.

Does this mean you observe the same behaviour?  I.e. a geli-backed
file system mounted and listed in the fstab is not properly
unmounted at shutdown?

> You could add the umount command to /etc/rc.shutdown.local
> so the system would automatically umount the partition, even
> if you reboot.

It is my understanding that file systems listed in the
/etc/fstab file are unmounted at system shutdown.  Is this
correct?

If not, that would be a pretty big WTF?, if you ask me.