Strange behaviour of nss_ldap in 7.2

Olivier Nicole Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Sat Oct 31 06:50:00 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am using nss_ldap without problem on a machine with FreeBSD 6.4
amd64.

Now I wanted to make a similar configuration with a machine running
FreeBSD 7.2 i386, but I have a problem:

- as root, getent passwd gives me the list of users in /etc/passwd and
  in LDAP;

- as user. getent passwd only gives me list of users in /etc/passwd.

Example:

  samba<1001>: ls -l toto
  -rw-r--r--  1 1001  30  0 Oct 31 13:21 toto
  samba<1001>: sudo ls -l toto
  Password:
  -rw-r--r--  1 on  staff  0 Oct 31 13:21 toto

The group ID and user ID are not resolved.

On the machine that is working:

  banyan<on>47: ls -l toto
  -rw-r--r--  1 on  csimstaff  0 Oct 31 13:46 toto
  banyan<on>48: sudo ls -l toto
  Password:
  -rw-r--r--  1 on  csimstaff  0 Oct 31 13:46 toto

The user and grup ID are resolved.

Note that I can authenticate against LDAP without problem (sudo with
pam_ldap works and ssh work).

I have copied nss_ldap.conf and nsswitch.conf from the 6.4 to the 7.2
machine (with needed name changing).

Both LDAP servers are running almost the same thing, ACL are the same.

I have tried to remove the ACL on LDAP server without success.

I am stuck with a different behaviour between 6.4 and 7.2, any help
will be greatly appreciated as I need to solve that problm urgently.

TIA,

Olivier