Effing HAL

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:58:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Freminlins <freminlins at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/10/30 Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com>
>
>> I was part of this and the x11 mailing list during the period in which
>> most made the switch to hal.  I am fully aware of all the complaining which
>> occurred.  There was a bug which made the issue difficult.  I experienced
>> it, the workaround was available nearly immediately and fixed soon after.
>> Nearly of the complaints were due to that bug, or misconfiguration just as
>> you are experiencing.  The bug was basically moused and hal fighting over
>> who was polling the mouse while X was running.  top is a horrible method of
>> measuring memory usage by a process.
>>

> But people are STILL having problems, like me last night. These
> "misconfigurations", isn't that what HAL is meant to stop people from doing,
> by configuring things itself? I tried with no xorg.conf file at all, I tried
> all sorts of things, it was very very ugly. Did you actually read what I
> wrote, or did you make up your mind that I had misconfigured something? Let
> me repeat it - I was given no keyboard or mouse.

Due to misconfiguration...

>> procstat(1) will give you a much better picture, I suggest you challenge
>> your assumptions and explore that path.
>>
>> However since you asked here is the diff.
>

> You have just proved that you didn't read what I wrote. Let me repeat it:
> "Show us the output of top from your box with the hal processes". You have
> just showed the headings, which doesn't mean a lot.

You're correct, the heading isn't a great method.  It is however much more
pertinent that the rest of output.  Let me try another way.

EACH LINE SHOWN IN TOP REPRESENTS THE CUMULATIVE MEMORY FOR THE PROCESS,
INCLUDING SHARED MEMORY.  IF PROCESS X IS LISTED 10 TIMES USING 10MB, THE
TOTAL FOR PROCESS X IS PROBABLY NOT 100MB, AND MAY EVEN BE 10MB TOTAL.  YOU
CANNOT DETERMINE USEAGE BY TOP!!!!!!!!

> I think you have closed your eyes to the problems that people experience
> with hal. That is a pity, because it won't improve anything.

It's me that doesn't read what is written?  Please, you've already admitted
to not RTFM and demonstrated you either didn't read, or didn't understand
what's being said here.  Software changes over time, a configuration file
from years ago isn't always going to work.  That's what manuals, online
docs, and the handbook are for.

--
Adam Vande More