Effing HAL

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 16:15:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:04:18 -0500
Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> replied:

>On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Freminlins <freminlins at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I've read the responses and comments here, so don't think I'm
>> ignoring anyone because I haven't responded directly.
>>
>> I rebuilt xorg-server without HAL. I killed hal stone dead and
>> started up the new (i.e. old-skool) xorg. It all works fine.
>>
>> My mouse and keyboard work as specified in the xorg.conf file,
>> rather than in the new-fangled xml way of doing things or adding
>> setxkbmap to my xinitrc
>> file. I am also 18MB of  RAM better off. Specifically for Adam, who
>> asks a rhetorical question about HAL, memory usage and top. The
>> answer for me is 18MB too much.
>>

>No my point was top is not accurate measure of HAL's memory usage.
>HAL has shared library's just like many other applications.
>>
>> My advice to anyone who has problems with X and HAL - rebuild
>> xorg-server without HAL (it doesn't take long),  then start from
>> that base.
>>
>> I have to say this HAL way of doing things is using a sledgehammer
>> to crack a nut. Sure X can be a bit horrible to configure, but HAL
>> itself is ugly, resource hungry and doesn't work 100%. It seems to
>> be an example of supposedly making things easier, except when it
>> doesn't work.
>
>This is only because of your misinterpretation of data and failure to
>RTFM.

Once you have to start reading a manual to create a configuration to
get basic keyboard to work, things are getting seriously out of hand.

A common user should not be required to have a working knowledge of
XHTML and obscure directives in order to get a piece of equipment
working.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

If you cannot in the long run tell everyone
what you have been doing, your doing was worthless.

 Edwin Schrodinger