breakthru, maybe....

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Fri Oct 30 01:29:19 UTC 2009

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 02:09:50PM +0200, Ross Cameron wrote:

>>>         Yes! but i bought the *Intel* 2-duo-core or whatever; not the
>>>        AMD (aDvanced micro Devices) chip.  Are these both bit by bit
>>>        == ??  i mean, exactly--software-wise, the same??
>>>
>>>        thanks.
>>>
>>>        gary
>>>
>>>        ps i knew the amd was an intel clone on the 32-bit level; not
>>>        sure about the 64-bit chips... .
>>>
>> Intel licensed the AMD64 instruction set and they call it Intel 64 in their
>> chips.
>>     Most free UNIX-like systems call the x86_64 releases AMD64 because thats
>> the correct name for the instruction set.
>

> 	Well, I was just a bit behind the times; like four or five
> 	years.  But thanks to several wiki articles, that's resolved.
> 	Nutshell is that I just finished burning the bootonly.iso.
> 	Now, if the power holds and I get the 8.0-RC2 running on the
> 	Dell, there's hope.
>
> 	And for my next trick: I'm ordering a UPS.  It is only for the
> 	DNS server and firefall (pfSense).  I'll either refurb the
> 	current computer or buy a newer 32-bit for the firewall.  I'd
> 	like suggestions on which UPS to buy.  Figuring the Dell Duo
> 	and a standard Intel box, would 250w be a good enough SWAG?
>
> 	gary
>

>> --
>> "Opportunity is most often missed by people because it is dressed in
>> overalls and looks like work."
>>    Thomas Alva Edison
>>    Inventor of 1093 patents, including:
>>        The light bulb, phonogram and motion pictures.

Aloha Gary,

If that used computer place has UPS get a couple and get new batteries
for them if they are not refurbished.

I got 2 used free beacuse the batteries were dead and took out the small
batteries and installed the standard 100 amp hour batteries to back up 6
servers 2 years ago. I too was having up to 10 hour power outages.Now
the backup will go for at least 10 hours with no line power. We had a 6
hour outage last fall and the system kept right on working.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >