lang/gcc43 and lang/gcc44 installation procedures broken after updates

Henry Olyer henry.olyer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 23:19:30 UTC 2009

Look, keep claiming that it's working if you like, but I've been backing up
another machine and making notes -- so that when I do my reinstall of 7.2, I
don't have to come back here again, asking for help that's already been
given.

My point is:  gcc44 doesn't work.  It is broken and I suspect it's going to
stay broken.  Only a fresh install *might* fix the problem.

I know these systems are very complex, I don't want to criticize anyone --
I'm very impressed that the FreeBSD community works as well as it does;  And
after all, this is the first time I've encountered problems this serious,
and I used to write compilers, so I know that you guys have done a terrific
job.

But let's move on;  gcc44 doesn't work, it's not going to, and we need to
focus on a repair strategy.  Is it to simply to do a fresh install?  I've
been backing up, I'll do this if I have to...