Merging Related Information from 2 Tables

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Oct 29 15:39:15 UTC 2009

This is probably going to be a hashing exercise but I am
checking to see if any of the building blocks needed are already
out there.

	The problem is simple to describe in that there are 2
tables. One is a DNS zone transfer table of all the A or Address
records in a given zone or from several zones for that matter.
the other table is from the same zones and consists of text or
TXT records. The only thing the 2 tables have in common is that
some of the TXT records share the exact same name field as the A
records so we should be able to display the important contents
of the A and TXT records on the same line if their names match.
The challenge is to do this quickly so some sort of hash
function is needed to locate A and TXT records having
the same name.

Grep does this beautifully for single entries across multiple
files, but I need to merge the text part of the TXT record with
the IP address and host name from the A record with the same
name. The only hard part is finding the quickest way to match
the roughly 25,000 host names in the A records with around half
as many TXT records. This is basically a bucket list problem in
which we can either have an A record name in a bucket by itself
or an A record in a given bucket and a TXT record in another
bucket with the same name as the A record.

	In the interest of standing on the shoulders of giants,
I am checking to see how much tried and tested tools already
exist and how much needs to be home-grown.

	It is also possible to use egrep to search for A and TXT
records in 1 pass through a file in which case one would search
from the same file for both record types but the problem is the
same. In case anybody wonders:

egrep '([[:space:]]IN([[:space:]]TXT[[:space:]]|[[:space:]]A[[:space:]]))'
okstate.zone >ATXT.txt

The line break here is for Email consideration. The above
command should all be on one line.

	Thanks for any suggestions.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer