Why is sendmail is part of the system and not a package?

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 28 05:45:34 UTC 2009

Lars Eighner wrote:
>Evidently my package database is corrupt in some way, because it shows m4 as
>an installed port.  I wonder how that happened, how to fix it, and if it
>will bite if I leave it alone.

The GNU version of m4 is a FreeBSD Port, devel/m4.  The base system
m4(1) was originally based on BSD 4.4 Lite m4, and then on a modified
version from OpenBSD.  It is supposed to be standards-compliant, but
it does not support all GNU m4 extensions, so it is not used as often
as devel/m4 is in Ports. So your package database is probably okay in
this regard.

b.