what is special about the 'git' Makefile ?

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 28 02:02:09 UTC 2009

George Sanders wrote:
>I've been doing this dance:

You haven't been out on the floor nearly often enough, it seems.
Better dust off those blue suede shoes. :)

>../configure ; make ; make install

>for about ten years now.  Sometimes there are some little issues, but nothing too crazy.

>I tried to build 'git' from source today, however, and it doesn't behave like anything I've >ever seen...

>I do the ./configure and it completes without errors:

>and then run 'make' ...

>"Makefile", line 206: Need an operator
>"Makefile", line 244: Missing dependency operator

>So ... what in the world is going on here ?

Er, you're using FreeBSD make(1) when you should be using GNU gmake?
There is a FreeBSD Port for this software in devel/git, and even if
you don't want to use it, the Makefiles and patches usually provide a
good guide to modifications that you may need to make to get it to
work on FreeBSD.