Why is sendmail is part of the system and not a package?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Oct 28 01:49:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:24:38 -0500 (CDT), Lars Eighner <luvbeastie at larseighner.com> wrote:
> Evidently by making it necessary to learn yet another scripting
> language to configure it.  Other than personal profit I cannot see why
> people are clinging like grim death to something this fubar.  Really,
> let's go past this one more time:
>
> "Sure, sendmail.cf is hard to work with so the solution is you learn m4!"
>
> Did you look at the link he offered?  How helpful is that?
>
> Beside which, m4 is a PORT.  So if sendmail is not configurable
> without a port, why isn't it a port?

Can we go back to our regular hacking, please?  m4 is not a port:

  $ which m4
  /usr/bin/m4

and the thread is quickly spiraling down to the level of personal
attacks.

I use both Postfix and Sendmail.  I'd probably prefer Postfix in the
base system, but the only way this can happen is to sit down and
actually _do_ the work it takes.

Any takers are more than welcome...