Why is sendmail is part of the system and not a package?

Gonzalo Nemmi gnemmi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 18:03:03 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 October 2009 11:06:47 pm Olivier Nicole wrote:
> > How many people actually use it? Very few.
>
> Out of the 12 or 15 servers I run, only one do not use stock
> sendmail: the mail server. So one out of twelve is rather quite a
> lot...

Let me get this .. are you saying that out of 12 server, 11 run sendmail
as a local mailer and that the only server that runs a mail server (the
one that conects to the outside world) uses "other" MTA?

I'm asking honestly .. see, the OP question is really hard to answer ...

It is a fact that every "default" install, and only a "default"
install .. because sysinstall gives you the chance to install other
MTAs, of FreeBSD install uses Sendmail .. but there's absolutely no
relation between that and number of people who actually uses it as
their mail server of choice to face the internet ...

Of course every FreeBSD "default" install uses Sendmail as a local
mailer, but that doesn't account for "How many people actually use
it?" .. It only says that every FreeBSD "default" install uses Sendmail
as a local mailer but no more than that :s

Best Regards
Gonzalo Nemmi