flashplugin

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Oct 25 08:19:27 UTC 2009

PJ wrote:
> Is there any definitive install guide for flashplugin.
> I was able to install it on a 7.2 64bit machine and then on an i386 but
> somehow it has morphed into god-knows-what and no longer works.

This is what I did for a 7.2 box.  Note that there are compatibility
issues between new versions of Linux emulation and older versions of
FreeBSD, so don't expect this to work with anything older.

* Make a note of all the linux-emulated software you have installed
  for later reference:

     # pkg_info -orx linux > linux-stuff

  We save the package origins in particular, because this procedure
  will result in a name change for most linux packages.

* Delete everything linux related

     # pkg_delete -rx linux

* Check and clean out /compat/linux -- there shouldn't be any interesting
  files left in this directory after the above step.  As I recall, when I
  did this, there was a ldconfig.hints file (which would be regenerated on
  demand), and some Acrobat related stuff under /compat/linux/home/matthew
  which I didn't care about, and which shouldn't have been there anyhow.

     # cd /compat/linux
     # find . -type f -ls
     # rm -rf *

* Change the default Linux kernel version for emulation:

     # sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16

  Also add "compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16" to /etc/sysctl.conf so it
  gets reset on reboots.

* Tell the ports system we want to use Fedora-10 as the Linux base by adding

     OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=       f10
     OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=   f10

   to /etc/make.conf.

* Now install www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 from ports -- this should have all
  of the following as dependencies (modulo any version updates that may have
  happened since writing this):

     % pkg_info -r linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r32
     Information for linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r32:

     Depends on:
     Dependency: linux_base-f10-10_2
     Dependency: linux-f10-openssl-0.9.8g
     Dependency: linux-f10-openldap-2.4.12_1
     Dependency: linux-f10-libssh2-0.18
     Dependency: linux-f10-cyrus-sasl2-2.1.22
     Dependency: linux-f10-curl-7.19.4_4
     Dependency: linux-f10-nspr-4.7.4
     Dependency: linux-f10-sqlite3-3.5.9_1
     Dependency: linux-f10-nss-3.12.2.0

  if that isn't the case and you aren't getting the f10 flavour of those
  ports, double check everything you've done so far for errors, and try again
  from the top.

* Add nspluginwrapper to enable Firefox to load the flash add-on:

     # portinstall www/nspluginwrapper

  (This has a dependency list as long as your arm, so it might take some
  time...)

  Following the install instructions for the nspluginwrapper package (which
  you can redisplay by "pkg_info -Dx nspluginwrapper")  install whatever globally
  available plugins there are by running this as root:

     # nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

  This puts plugins into /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/ which Firefox should
  read.  Alternatively, install the plugins locally to your own user account
  by running that command under your own UID:

     % nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

* Finally, fire up Firefox and check that it has loaded the flash plugin by
  typing 'about:plugins' into the URL bar.  Find a site with flash content[*],
  and enjoy.

* Check the list you made at the first step, and reinstall any other linux
  applications you want.

So far I've found flash10 under Fedora10 to be pretty stable and inoffensive
on FreeBSD 7.2.  You even get the sound track on Flash movies.  However I'm
still running Firefox with xpi-flashblock-1.5.11.2 and xpi-noscript-1.9.3.3 on general principles

Adobe Acrobat isn't working, but I think that's more to do with the map_at_zero stuff introduced in the last security advisory.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] I think there are one or two flash based things at YouTube.com

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW